LGMA Box Office
LGMA Box OfficeAll concert tickets available online with no booking fee from wegottickets.com
Friday 11th March - Heavy Classic in concert
From Germany we are proud to present ‘Heavy Classic’. With guitar, mandolin and cello this band is, to say the least, impressive! Guitar and Bass magazine sums it up nicely “innovative, atmospheric and energetic… this is the affinity between heavy metal, rock and classical music re-plumbed… outstanding musicians with a unique world sound”.
The band’s leader and founder Malte Vief is a prize-winning composer and guitarist performing on radio, television and at many concerts and festivals. Winner of the European Guitar Award at the ‘open strings competition’ he is a musician caught between the two poles of classical and rock music… his unique style has emerged and been labelled ‘Heavy Classic’.
On mandolin and mandola is Jochen Ross. An outstanding musician/mandolinist based in Hamburg and a former winner of the International mandolin competition, Jochen is no stranger to Scotland. He worked as a mandolin teacher with the Lanarkshire Guitar and Mandolin Association for 6 months and his CD, ‘The Ten Islands’ was in his own words “inspired by the beautiful country, the lovely people and the special mood in the music that reflects the rough, melancholic charm of Scotland”.
On Cello is Matthias Hübner. Scholarship holder of the ‘German Music Foundation’, Matthias was classically trained at the University of Music ‘Carl Maria von Weber’ in Dresden, he is always looking for new ways to bring the cello ‘to life’… and he does, this guy rocks!
CD: Da Capo Alba & Mango - Pirates and PenguinsOrder online today for only £10 plus postage
This is the second CD to be released by the LGMA and features both our adult orchestra Da Capo Alba and youth orchestra Mango.
1. Palladio, Karl Jenkins
2. Music from 'The Godfather", Nino Rota (arr. Stefan Prophet)
3. Meridian, Richard Charlton
4. Ragtime (from Drei Bagatellen), Mirko Schrader
5. The Song of Japanese Autumn, Yasuo Kuwahara
6. Tetris/Troika, Traditional (arr. Barbara Pommerenke-Steel)
7. Martha's Park, Joe Bennett
8. Gotta Lotta Rosa, Joe Bennett
9. Catapulting Penguins, Barbara Pommerenke-Steel
10. Music from Pirates of the Caribbean: Fog Bound, Klaus Badett
11. Music from Pirates of the Caribbean: The Medalion Calls, Klaus Badett
12. Music from Pirates of the Caribbean: The Black Pearl, Klaus Badett
13. Music from Pirates of the Caribbean: He's a Pirate, Klaus Badett
14. Symphony in F: Allegro, Karl Friedrich Schwindl
15. Symphony in F: Andante, Karl Friedrich Schwindl
16. Symphony in F: Presto, Karl Friedrich Schwindl
17. Three Thirty Three, Graeme Thomson
18. Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Freddie Mercury
CD: Da Capo Alba - About TimeBuy online for only
This is the first ever CD to be released by a UK guitar and mandolin orchestra.
It's been a long time coming, but here it is - Da Capo Alba's debut recording. It has been a long labour of love for many of us in the orchestra, but the length of time has given us the advantage of including pieces that we have played over the years and which may not be in our current repertoire. In this sense, the recording is an accurate retrospective view of the ever changing membership and repertoire of Da Capo Alba. The title, although relevant to the time span of the project, also alludes to the importance of time and timing in music and demonstrates how long it takes to establish a group of musicians who can work together to produce an album of this quality.
Praise for About Time
"The CD arrived yesterday and I just finished listening to it--WONDERFUL! It's a GREAT mix of music written for mandolin orchestra and folk music. HIGHLY recommended! Wish I could hear you all live!"
Yvonne Wingard, mandocellist of the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra
2. Music for Play C. Mandonico
3. Bahia Sueno M. Müller (arr. Barbara Pommerenke-Steel)
4. A Rose Vermelha Traditional (arr. Y. Rivoal)
5. Cueca Traditional (arr. Y. Rivoal)
6. Planxty O'Carolan Traditional & T. O'Carolan (arr. B. Szordikowski)
a. Intro b. Lannigan's Ball (Trad) c.Planxty McGuire (T.O'Carolan) d. The Wind from the South (Trad) e. The Princess Royal (T.O'Carolan) f. Down by the Sally Gardens (Trad) g. The Irish Washerwoman (Trad)
7. The Ballad of Uri M. Hajidakis
8. Waltz of the Lost Dreams M. Hajidakis
9. ABBA Medley B. Anderson & B. Ulvaeus (arr. Calum Harbison)
a. One of us is Lonely b. Money, Money, Money c. S.O.S. d. Knowing Me, Knowing You e. Fernando
Buy online today for only £15 plus postage